In this two-year program, Associates support client teams with media, public affairs and financial research and analysis across all practice areas. At the conclusion of the two years, Associates will be proficient at the below responsibilities and able to assume Senior Associate duties.
Research and Writing Skills
- Demonstrates an ability to use research tools and databases (e.g., Factiva, Cision, LexisNexis, Reuters Bridgechannel, Bloomberg, VMS, Google, etc.)
- Writes clear, accurate and concise summaries of research findings.
- Meticulously proofreads written work using an understanding of correct grammar, punctuation and Finsbury and AP style.
- Shows progress in refining research skills to produce more highly-developed and accurate backgrounders and other research information.
- Uses creativity in securing information when faced with a challenging research assignment.
- Distributes a press release using BusinessWire or PR Newswire.
- Is adept at media monitoring - including traditional, social and digital media - and distributing clips to colleagues, clients and others as appropriate.
- Creates first drafts of activity reports.
- Begins to understand the basic concepts of key messages.
- Demonstrates a basic understanding of the business world, financial terms and transactions, legal and regulatory issues, general news knowledge, etc.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the relationships a company has to its key audiences (e.g., employees, customers, investors).
- Understands how a communications strategy can influence a client's reputation and business.
- Media Skills
- Develops accurate and detailed media lists.
- Begins to develop an understanding of media strategy and media outlets.
- Understands the role of digital and social media in a media relations plan.
- Begins to conduct media outreach and develop relationships with media contacts.
- New Business Development
- Helps assemble research and materials for new business presentations.
- Participates in pro bono work.
- Participates in and/or leads Finsbury Academy Sessions.
- Takes an active role in the life of the firm (e.g. Finsbury Councils, Practice Area groups).
Ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum one year of relevant experience in communications (agency), legal, public affairs, journalism or related areas.
- Strong writing, presentation and analytical skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Works quickly and well, while paying close attention to detail.
- Shows a friendly, positive, "can do" attitude and commitment to working collaboratively and cooperatively with all colleagues-even in stressful situations.
- Volunteers for assignments, shows ambition and interest in learning.
- Seeks out experiences and guidance from senior staff in an effort to further his/her career development at the Firm.
- Is available and responsive to client and senior staff needs during off hours and on short notice.