Who are we?
SJR is the Content Marketing Institute's Agency of the Year 2020. We believe in the power of transformative content and have an unparalleled group of talent who make content marketing differently. We combine journalistic rigor with creative intelligence, then amplify all that editorial heritage and creative flair with technology to sharpen the conversation, decode complexity, transfer knowledge, and build trust.
Our client work and agency approach have earned us notable accolades, including Agency of the Year by Content Marketing Awards and Most Innovative Culture by Digiday.
We hire uncommon talents: passionate innovators, disruptors, and content marketers to join us on our mission to create great brand storytelling.
Who we are looking for:
We are currently seeking a Human Resources Director to support our North American employees (New York, Los Angeles, Toronto and remote) with a high level of discretion, professionalism, and efficiency. They will serve as a point of contact for employees' queries on HR-related topics and contribute to a positive, productive work environment with support from the People Team, as well as act as the connector between all HR managers in offices globally. This position reports to the President, North America and will have two direct reports: US HR Manager and Canada HR Manager.
Who you are:
• Experienced culture and engagement leader. You will be focused on culture and employee experience bringing enthusiasm to the office with new and exciting programmatic ideas.
• Diversity champion. You will help to meet our diversity hiring goals by ensuring processes, recruitment and hiring are meeting the goals set by our global DE+I team.
• A natural leader and problem solver. You can take charge in any situation and lead challenging conversations with confidence and help us to navigate and successfully plan and launch return to office (RTO) in the coming months.
• Detail Oriented. Ability to work in a fast-moving environment with offices across different time zones and advise North American leadership on issues of human resourcing, pay equity, benefits updates and record keeping.
What you'll do:
• Provide support to employees in various HR-related topics such as leaves, alternative work arrangements, client challenges and other employee relations
• Conduct onboarding including creating tailored on-boarding materials and successfully managing the process of their first impression of the agency
• Investigate and advise agency on benefits structure, leave policies and potential changes
• Assist with annual performance management process
• Conduct exit reviews and advise agency on how/when to apply learnings to our organization
• Counsel managers to support strategic HR direction and resolve organizational and individual issues, counsel employees in execution of HR programs.
• Ensure acknowledgement and compliance of all policies, procedures, guidelines, and regulations.
• Partner with President and CFO by participating in strategic planning for growth with focus on talent acquisition, succession planning for departmental heads, update and create job descriptions and complete talent mapping.
• Drive and develop culture to increase morale and motivate employees, particularly through planning for RTO.
• Mediate and manage any employee relations issues or bring them to the immediate attention for resolution.
• Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of titles, salaries, personnel files and job descriptions.
What you'll bring:
We'd like you to tick as many of the below off as possible but remember that you don't have to match 100% of these bullets. We're looking for a culture fit for SJR and, as such, unusual people and profiles are welcome.
• More than 10 years of experience in a Human Resources related role with demonstrated leadership skills.
• Ability to manage own time, and that of others while working with remote teams across different time zones
• Understanding of general human resources policies and procedures in US and Canada
• Good knowledge of employment laws in US (particularly New York and California) and Canada
• Outstanding knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Outlook, Word) & HRIS systems will be a plus
• Quick to learn new systems and execute on construction
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including conflict resolution and deep empathy
• Aptitude in rational problem solving
• Exceptional organizational skills, integrity and great follow through on tasks
• Knowledge of immigration law and working visas a strong plus.