Position at Wavemaker
Overview of job
Wavemaker is an agency of GroupM, the leading global media investment company and are a part of WPP. In fact, we are responsible for one in every three ads you see globally. We are currently looking for a General Manager to join us.
As the General Manager, you will lead the operation of multiple accounts across industries and sectors, via strategic business solutions. It requires strong leadership, cutting-edge integrated media expertise, project management skills as well as communication and people management skills.
Reporting of the role
This role reports to (Line Manager's position) .
3 best things about the job:
Measures of success -
In three months:
- You will have the opportunity to develop an effective leadership style and be responsible for your team's delivery end-to-end in our client relationships through working on internationally connected accounts, across all specialisms including strategy, content, performance and ecommerce.
- To help you achieve this, you will be mentored by leading members of the agency team in China (CEO, MD, COO and CSO) and your peers in the international network of excellence on the business.
- New business is the heart of any agency from developing our thinking and execution to growing the agency reputation; as such this role will have opportunities to tap into and collaborate with a group of brilliant talents for new business development.
In six months:
- Developed a strong understanding of client's business and structures - both locally and regionally/globally, to be the key point of contact for all China related topics.
- Begun to clearly influence and adapt the plans and approaches and setting the direction for the coming year.
- Developed a strong working relationship with your team, setting the culture & expectations on what great looks like.
- Quickly familiarize with assigned clients and products and their marketing opportunities and challenges.
- Establish trusted relationship key stakeholders internally and externally.
In 12 months:
- Implemented areas of enhancement/optimization to deliver better service and work standards to the client from across the agency, and effective, efficient and compliant internal processes.
- Ensure Wavemaker is regarded as a communication planning expert, with creativity to develop big ideas, in a digitally centric world.
- Be a true leader of your team and wider agency functional/specialist teams and fully gained their trust and respect.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Effectively managing the team and client partnership, from building the business growth plan for the coming year, to resourcing and development needs.
- Set the benchmark for these clients in Wavemaker China and globally, and therefore ensure that they are seeing as leading the world in their own rights.
- Be resourceful and independent in identifying the right solutions for issue resolutions.
- Proactively develop and implement new working models and customized product solutions for clients.
What you will need:
- Build and maintain productive and long-lasting relationship with clients at all levels - especially focus on developing a trusted partner relationship with senior clients and internal stakeholders.
- Ensure our planning is strategically-led, applying business and consumer insights and coming up with big ideas that can land with media ideas to deliver value for our client.
- Being a key consumer touchpoint, often forming almost 100% of client's media investment, strong expertise of digital tactics across brand and performance and data and analytics, and continuous learning on latest development are a must.
- Develop a motivated team focused on improving effective and efficient delivery to the client.
- Lead and collaborate with the wider team to deliver integrated planning across all touchpoints, in line with annual connections planning approach.
- Manage the team day-to-day, acting as a coach and mentor to team members. Conduct regular performance appraisals of team members in a professional manner, including designing their training and development plans. Develop and maintain a succession plan for the business at all levels.
- Prioritize tasks and appropriately delegate to team members, ensuring they are given adequate time, resource and are sufficiently trained to execute the tasks.
- Agree a realistic timeframe for delivery of work with the client and revisit if necessary.
- Work with clients to arrive at the best process/systems for managing their business.
- Work with other teams/departments to safeguard clients' interests with strategically important media owners.
- Supervise and be accountable for all work, in terms of its quality, accuracy, insightfulness and innovation.
- Demonstrate strong problem-solving capability and implementation capacity.
- Drive pitches or new business proposal to existing clients when necessary.
- Have a deep understanding of and embrace Wavemaker's mission and values.
More about Wavemaker
- Proven track record over 10+ years' experience in leading blue-chip accounts.
- Be able to manage and motivate employees, clients and suppliers at all levels.
- Thoroughly understand the China media environment, especially on how to engage and leverage maximum impact from BAT JBPs for client benefit.
- Experienced digital practitioner with a strong understanding of strategy.
- Performance based client experience ideal but not essential.
- Possess good verbal and written communication skills as well as compelling presentation skills.
- Fluent in Mandarin and strong English language skills.
- Possess thorough market, industry and client management knowledge and expertise.
We believe there always is a better way to grow. We positively provoke growth for our clients by reshaping consumer decision-making and experiences through media, content and technology. The Wavemaker way is globally consistent. Fueled by the world's most powerful consumer data, we understand where and how marketing can intervene decisively to help brands win more sales.
Our name is our mission and our method. To make waves, you need to be provocative, even fearless. We do our best work for brave brands and people who want to be challenged to go further and faster. We know it's not easy, but if it's in you, we will get it out of you.
Our 7,600 people across 90 markets provoke growth for some of the world's leading brands and businesses. Our attitude of Positive Provocation is enabled by:
- deep knowledge we have of our clients' business
- confidence to challenge what's gone before
- the support to go further than we thought possible
We are a part of GroupM, WPP's global media investment management company. Discover more on wavemakerglobal.com.
GroupM is the world's leading media investment company responsible for more than $50 B in annual media investment through agencies Mindshare, MediaCom, Wavemaker, Essence and m/SIX, as well as the outcomes-driven programmatic audience company, Xaxis. GroupM's portfolio includes Data & Technology, Investment and Services, all united in vision to shape the next era of media where advertising works better for people. By leveraging all the benefits of scale, the company innovates, differentiates and generates sustained value for our clients wherever they do business.
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity - it's about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that's what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.