At AKQA, we believe in the imaginative application of art and science to create beautiful ideas, products and services. With an entrepreneurial and collaborative approach, we design adaptive digital services and applications that capture the imagination, delivering impressive returns for our clients.
Creatives at AKQA apply artistry and craftsmanship to strategic insight, to create and bring to life beautiful ideas that move the world. As skilled storytellers and conceptors, they work in a multidisciplinary environment to develop labours of love that delight customers and deliver results for clients.
The Design Director at AKQA will approach every brief with fresh eyes. Avoiding familiar solutions, the main challenge will be to elevate the storytelling and infuse a strong insight behind digital projects. You, in collaboration with our other creative leads, will create and inspire work that will help to build the creative reputation of Amsterdam studio. You will be hands-on, client-facing, and trusted to deliver high priority projects that create meaningful value at a rapid pace. You will also function as a mentor for a multidisciplinary team of senior visual designers, motion designers and UI experts.
With an entrepreneurial and collaborative approach, you will have the opportunity to work with start-ups and scale-ups, as well as iconic brands like Alexander McQueen, Gucci, Nike, Toyota, and others.
- Meticulous eye for detail: Hands-on leader, directs the work to ensure it complies with brand standards while pushing its boundaries
- Storytelling: Makes complex concepts simple and easy to understand utilising data, art, and technology
- Collaborative: Works with other departments to establish strategic and creative approaches for a given assignment
- Organised: Manages team resources and projects with an unmeasured proactiveness to ensure the highest calibre of work is delivered to clients on time
- Direct: Directs the effort to develop creative concepts and implementations in a cross-disciplinary manner
- Idea generation: Leads by example to consistently inspire creative colleagues to create pioneering ideas that conceptualise world-class solutions
- Curious: Continually develops practices and processes to inspire, innovate, and harness new ways of thinking
- Client relationship: Works in conjunction with the Client Services team to actively build a strong relationship with a given client
- Leadership: Acts as a strategic and conceptual leader on projects; inspires and leads by example, setting professional standards for the team and the department
- Mentoring: Actively trains, mentors and manages junior and mid-level creatives; acts as a Career Manager, responsible for managing and guiding creatives of all levels within AKQA, including regular one-on-one check-ins, writing and delivering annual performance reviews and takes responsibility for on-boarding new employees and guiding him/her through a successful tenure at AKQA
- New business development: Creatively leads new business pitches and is responsible for the ideas and the creative work, and articulating a compelling story
QUALITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS
- An excellent portfolio that spans digital, experiential, retail, product/service design and storytelling
- A minimum of 10 years' experience in the creative industry (3-5 in leadership), with a focus on immersive digital experiences, products and platforms
- Experience collaborating with motion designers, technologists, live production teams, product designers and vendors to seamlessly execute projects
- Exceptional design aesthetic, variations on styles, and awareness of design trends and innovation
- Exceptional communication skills: verbal, written, interpersonal and interdepartmental
- Thought leadership; a strong point of view; ability to contribute to the strategic development of an assignment; creative ideas and the ability to promote conceptual thinking among the team
- The ability to lead, coach, inspire and motivate a team to create and deliver truly remarkable, influential and impactful work
- A solid understanding of digital media as well as the marketing industry at large; an ability and a desire to adapt to the changing landscape of technology
- Ability to provide creative directions as well as overall leadership for strategic and account direction
- Ability to establish client relationship and act as a creative leader for the client
- Strong deck writing and dynamic presentation skills
AKQA is committed to developing wellbeing and supporting life choices for our team. We provide an extensive range of benefits. To find out more click here.
AKQA is an Equal Opportunities Employer, we believe that diversity is vital to AKQA's ability to provide our clients with the best recommendations and are committed to fostering a varied and inclusive work environment. Your race, colour, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or veteran status have no bearing on our hiring decisions. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.