|Category||Public Relations;Client Services|
About Hill & Knowlton
Hill & Knowlton is the global strategic communications leader for transformation. We help brands, businesses and leaders build reputation, manage risk, and create breakthrough opportunities for growth. Founded in 1927, today's Hill & Knowlton operates 70 offices in over 30 countries, providing advisory, public relations and creative solutions to local and global clients. Our global team offers integrated strategic services, grounded in deep sector expertise, and enabled by creativity and intelligence. Headquartered in New York, Hill & Knowlton is part of WPP, one of the world's largest communications services groups.
H& K is looking for a talented and ambitious Public Affairs Account Director to join our dynamic and growing Toronto public affairs team.
We are looking for an experienced public affairs practitioner who will bring strategic insight to our clients and energy and passion to our team. As an Account Director you will be responsible for providing strategic government relations advice and advocacy for clients, and for ensuring that client satisfaction is maintained at the highest level. In return, H&K will provide you with the opportunity to develop your consulting skills, profile your expertise , and work on multi-faceted and integrated client files.
As part of the H&K team you will work with colleagues across the country and around the world, collaborating with public affairs professionals and experts in communications, data and analytics, content and publishing, creative strategy, and more. You bring to the role an established stakeholder network. You enjoy being part of a team and networking with your peer group. You will apply strategic thinking and oversight to client programs, provide unique perspectives to inform client objectives and work to increase H&K's profile in the market. You will participate in business development to cultivate client opportunities and win new work. This is an opportunity to help shape the future of public affairs at Hill & Knowlton - come build your profile and ours with a caliber of colleagues that is second to none.
Hill and Knowlton is committed to building a workplace where everyone can reach their full potential. Our goal is to create a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone belongs.
Here's what you'd be doing:
• Leading meaningful, strategic campaigns to push forward the policy conversation and achieve important objectives for clients.
• Developing and nurturing strong relationships with clients at all levels and capitalizing on large and complex opportunities with existing and new clients.
• Acting as the lead on accounts, which requires deep understanding of client objectives , managing budgets and work deliverables, and mentoring and coaching team members.
• Collaborating with internal teams, including other subject matter experts, to create government relations and advocacy plans.
• Helping to shape Public Affairs at H&K as we grow the team and innovate its offerings.
• Editing and writing engaging and well-informed materials (briefing notes, backgrounders, fact sheets, whitepapers, Q&A, presentations, responses to requests for proposals).
• Monitoring government, industry and sector landscapes on clients' behalf.
• Creating and maintaining productive relationships with government and industry stakeholders and clients (includes networking and attending firm-related and political functions).
• Delivering persuasive presentations at client meetings and new business pitches.
• Complying with lobby registration process as per jurisdiction .
• Measuring and reviewing success of H&K programs for clients against stated goals.
• Contributing creativity, passion and expertise in a close-knit, entrepreneurial team environment where everyone's voice is heard, valued and rewarded.
What else is in it for you?
• A chance to consult among and be supported by the best in the business. At H&K you will be exposed to a variety of people and work amidst an environment committed to developing people and great ideas.
• The opportunity to help build, refine and shape the future of public affairs at Hill & Knowlton.
• Full health benefits package-including healthy paid time off, schedule flexibility, fitness reimbursement, and more.
• A career working with and influencing bold, creative teams and clients.
• A passionate, smart, fun, and creative office culture.
• Strong leadership with a focus on entrepreneurial thinking, training and mentoring to help you grow, expand your skills and become your professional best.
What you'll need to get here:
• Minimum 6 to 8 years' experience working in government or public affairs or communications in a public affairs environment
• Understanding of Ontario's policy processes and political landscape
• Proven trusted client adviser: an active listener who builds strong partnerships and confidently offers counsel
• Consulting experience, including leading account teams, managing budgets, and coaching and mentoring staff, is an asset
• Strategic thinker: understands our clients' business challenges and applies creative thinking and problem-solving to develop smart, insight-driven strategies to address these challenges
• Growth mindset: actively seeks opportunities for organic growth; proactively seeks new business leads
• Experience effectively managing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
• Collaborative approach to working with a team across different geographies and sectors/services
• Passionate about H&K; builds team culture with energy, empathy and enthusiasm
• Demonstrated ability to develop messages and materials for government officials
• Relevant degree in Political Science, Communications, Journalism or Public Relations
Hill & Knowlton is more than an agency. It's a collection of thousands of brilliant, collaborative and driven employees - all united around a single vision of transforming our clients, our company and the world. Across 70 offices in 30 countries our people are the heartbeat of our business. Bridging countless cultures, backgrounds and lived experiences, we are drawn together by a common drive and a collaborative spirit - called to our craft each day by the desire to deliver the best work. At H&K, diversity, equity and inclusion are not just values; they are strategic imperatives that fuel our future in an industry built on the art of understanding, connecting and developing relationships. We believe that a diverse workforce is essential for inspiring bold ideas, fostering constructive dialogue and cultivating meaningful experiences that drive innovation and creativity.